Sunday 18 March 2018

Constructing the Digipak

When making my digipak I first searched online for inspiration. I decided that I would emulate a Guy Davis album cover, a Johnny Cash album cover (as it would be a good way to get pictures of the artist) and the title screen for the video game 'The Last of Us' as it fit into the theme of nature that was featured in my video.
I had many different pictures taken from a variety of angles and poses. Below is the ones I ended up using when making the digipak.

I then opened Photoshop to edit my pictures. I first decided to edit each one individually as I was able to focus more on one at a time.
I cropped the photo of the watch and cut around it to make my album cover. I chose this as the cover of the digipak as it links directly to a scene in my music video where the featured character throws his watch on the floor. After cutting around the image I then added a dirt texture background, linking back to the nature theme. I added a colour overlay effect as I believe that the watch was originally too colourful for the album. After finishing my editing of the image I added the band and album name in the Bell MT font, which, I believe, suited the album quite well.

I then decided to edit the back of my digipak. I cropped the photo to the appropriate size then cut around the image of me holding the guitar (which I used because it featured a big image of the artist). I then added a brown background. I used the match colour effect to match the colour of the digipak cover to make it look like one singular piece. I added a film grain filter as I believe it made the image feel more like it's indie genre. After this I got the real songs of the album online and copied onto the image with the Baskerville Old Face font.

For the next two images I again cropped the down to size and used match colour and film grain to help them feel like one piece.
I ended by doing the labels for the album. After getting the accurate measurements I got a wood texture background, fitting the genre and music video. I got the band and album name and typed it up with Baskerville Old Face. 
After finishing all the images I got a digipak template online to make sure my measurement were correct and to make sure I put all the images in the correct places.
Luckily my images were the correct size so I didn't need to make any additional adjustments. I had to put my cover and back next to each other and the top three layers had to be turned upside down as this is how an authentic digipak would look. I was then finished constructing my digipak.









No comments:

Post a Comment